PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does a short HF antenna on an Airbus transmit/receive such long wavelengths?
Old 20th Aug 2017, 13:14
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And who remembers those calculations when you were asked to work out whether the V or the I was greater at the ends etc?
While serving with the South Wales Borderers in Botswana providing HF comms to the outside world, the Company Signals Sgt came to me, asking for a coax adaptor or termination of some sort. I asked him what was he intending to do with it and he said he was going to use a rhombic antenna to maintain comms back to the Company HQ during the upcoming safari into the Botswana bush. He had done simple signaller's training and some idiot had mentioned rhombics to him. He didn't want to listen when I explained the difficulties he was making for himself so let him get on with it, wondering where he as going to get the miles of wire for his 2MHz and 6MHz links. My oppo, the "other radio tech" went with them and after watching this poor bloke struggling with setting up a working aerial, he took a legth of wire, tied on end into the ring on the handle of an adjustable spanner and threw it up a tree. Worked a treat!