PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 19th Aug 2017, 11:51
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have instructed only in a very narrow band of advanced training (flight testing) and have done so for many years. It has been interesting to compare the skill sets that our students (who are 'above average' front line pilots) have at the start of the course. Based on this I have come to the following conclusion:

Today's military pilots have the same ability that they always have. However, 'ability' relates to the potential to learn skills, and the skills required to operate military aircraft have changed over the years. Obviously, front line pilots have the required skills for the present which demonstrates that the flying training system is providing adequate training. I think that where the angst is generated amongst pilots of an older generation (mine!) regarding flying training is that the stick and rudder skills and, perhaps, judgement that were needed 30 or 40 years ago are not needed to fly modern aircraft. Therefore, why teach them? It is interesting how the perception of the Tornado has changed. When it entered service it was 'the electric jet' but now, compared to Typhoon and F-35, it is the platform that 'needs to be flown'. There is a very similar analogy in the commercial aviation world. However, there is then an interesting debate to be had when it comes to operating in degraded flight control system or cockpit display modes modes which may well require the handling and piloting skills of older aircraft. Big picture, do you spend time and money in training to cater for a low probability event or do you accept the cost of a loss if a pilot does not have the skills to handle certain infrequent events? This is the AF447 conundrum.

For many years I held the view that 'in a decade true stick and rudder skills will reside only in sport aviation'. Perhaps that decade has now passed? What would be interesting to know is if and how the Red Arrows' training has changed over the years to cater for any differences in skill sets between pilots trained in the old way and those trained more recently. That may well be the best metric for demonstrating changes in pure flying skills.