PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peace for our regulatory reform time! Again!
Old 17th Aug 2017, 00:58
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
In fact, the "rewriting" of CAO 48 has been going on for much longer than most of you realise.

How do I know this? Because I was the AFAP/OSB (Overseas Branch -- aka Qantas pilots - before AIPA) on the AFAP sub-committee discussing the very touchy subject (the buzzword "consultation" was a later development) with DCA in 1968. I seem to recall Joe Waxman was the "domestic" rep, GA didn't count, not even on the attendance list.

We did achieve one lasting change --- the expression B707 was amended to "turbojet" as other jets came on the Australian register. Other than that, nada!!

That's 49 years --- maybe next year we could organise a 50 year major celebration --- a celebration of Australian bureaucratic procrastination without peer. There is no doubt that we are world champion "regulators", our supremacy at "regulation" is internationally acknowledged and unchallenged.

Come to think of it, why would any other country want the title?

Rereading Donald Horn's "The Luck Country" should be on school reading lists --- but in this day and age it would probably be banned as violating "safe space", "fairness and equality" and "positive discrimination" policies.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I once went to a DCA organised airshow at YSBK, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the publication of the first Air Navigation Order. Only in Australia.
Most countries celebrate victorious battles ( The Battled of Britain, D-Day air shows in the UK, Battle of the Coral Sea in US as examples) but we glorify and salute the "First Air Navigation Order".