Thread: EK new portal
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2017, 09:33
BANANASBANANAS

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by harry the cod
BANANASBANANAS

If I may quote part of your reply to WK;

"....my response was limited to the Tablet, not how I work around it's shortcomings."

I disagree. It was exactly about how you work around it's shortcomings, or in your particular case, not bother.

".....so I shall apologies to my crew on behalf of Emirates that, once again, I am unable to brief them".

Were you ever working here before GABI was available? Serious question. Just curious what or who you blamed before we adopted it. Don't you ever use the hard copy as WK pointed out? This over reliance on GABI and expectation that it's almost mandatory to use before flights is becoming ridiculous. It's a tool to help us. If our tablets can't download it, report it. Let the Company sort out the debacle and just do what needs to be done to get the job done safely. We have enough resources for that anyway so why use a dysfunctional system that's still under trial to cover for lack of basic resilience and common sense.

Also, whether we like it or not, the role of commander comes with some basic responsibilities.......responsibility being one of them! Starting your brief by blaming the Company is hardly a good example, especially when there are 'work arounds'.

Harry
Harry, are you WK using another handle?

I am not going to be side tracked from pointing out the rude and unprofessional reply from someone who, probably, should know better.

Of course we can give approximate times, altitudes, an idea of the weather etc. But that is not the point and not what this thread is about, is it!

The accuracy of information that could be briefed prior to getting the hard copy was severely compromised and that was due to the poor performance of the new portal. That was my point and I stand by it. You can 'get used' to the shortcomings of the portal (as you previously mentioned) if you wish. I expect that if my employer gives me a tool for a job that it is fit for purpose.

The response from WK was just plain rude.

Perhaps a review of what the first 'p' in pprune stands for should be mandatory before some people post.

This site is used by journalists et al as a source of supposedly high quality reference. If this is the best we can manage then our professional standards (and standing) have slipped alarmingly from when I started flying almost 40 years ago.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 16th Aug 2017 at 09:44.