PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2017, 22:26
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Stall warning and beating the system

Not sure when Okie flew the Viper, but in the very beginning we were surprised that we could get the rascal into a a deep stall. Regardless of how you got there, the jet would maintain close to wings-level with no serious yaw and nose high unless inverted. Vertical velocity was about like AF447. All this was with fully finctional aero data from the pitot-static systems and the AoA sensors and the rate/gee sensots in the computer boxes.

Unlike the 'bus, our system cut out the stick and rudder once AoA was above 30 degrees. GASP! What could we do? "You can't stall this jet", but we found a way. Sound familiar? We had the Aces II seat. AF447 crew plus many pax did not, but three professionals did not realize they were stalled for almost 4 minutes until St Peter told them.

GD put in the manual pitch override feature and we could "rock" the sucker outta the deep stall, as above 35 or 40 degrees AoA the tail was capable of inducing a nose up pitch movement, but not nose down. So unlike the 'bus system, we could further increase our AoA and the nose would fall thru after a push/pull sequence while coming down at 10,000 feet per minute. Fun huh?

I never got into a deep stall, but came close and what happened was a "airshow" tail slide. Vertical zoom and ran outta speed too quickly or the system to save me. Sucker came back down and flipped over due to gravity and some tail surface aero. Once nose pointed down and AoA under 30 deg, the stick worked and simply reset the warning lights to continue the engagement.

I really think I personally could get the 'bus into the deeply stalled condition using the same profile we had in the Viper. You had to get the nose very high before running outta power. Once the speed decreased significantly faster than your power could hold it and allow the AoA laws to work, so you could get beyond the parameters that all the engineers never thought of or programmed into the computers.

I like the stick buzzer idea, but in the 'bus the feature does not seem to work if IAS is too low, or lost like AF447. And we must remember that the stall is AoA related and not gee or attitude or speed. Sheesh, day one lesson in flight school or with a good pilot as I had first time I ever flew on a joy ride.

Thanks for the rehash of aero stuff and such, OG.