PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 9th Aug 2017, 05:39
Orange future

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"The Old Girls Club which is at least as powerful as the old boys network”

Really? Fewer than a dozen CEO’s in Australia of the top 200 companies are women, less than 5% and yet they wield as much power as the old boys network?

“Anyway quotas means that any female that applies and is remotely qualified will be appointed.

You may have missed the point here; the argument is not exactly what constitutes a quota but rather are quotas actually in play. Which is why after 12 months I returned to pose the question: “how many female pilots have been awarded cockpit jobs with Jetstar following the quota system…..”

The answer thus far being precisely zero.

“This. Why is it so hard to comprehend??”

Not difficult to comprehend at all, it’s very much the case that women don’t see airline flying as a viable career of choice. The two questions that arise are firstly why and secondly what can be done about it.

“They want power positions.”

I suspect they want to be able to choose any career path society offers, just like men. Power, maybe, some people are like that. Are you implying that its bad when women seek power but not when men do?

“The Feminazi days are numbered as the experiment is…..”

I am keen to know exactly what this experiment entailed? Can you shed some light on exactly what you think feminism is about?

And more importantly, what exactly is “normalcy”?

“There's one place I'd like to see gender equality. HR.”

Human resources is a people job and such women tend to gravity towards the role more commonly than men. Should the imbalance be addressed? Of course it should, I am all for it.

“When I see gender equality in HR demonstrated by HR then I'll give due credence to the concept”

How would you like to see this inequality addressed?

“Which probably explains why the Jetstar Pilot interview process contains no technical questions but lots of warm and fuzzy stuff on getting on with the captain and resolving differences of opinion on the flight deck.”

Airlines all over the world are moving away from the technical side into more behavioral based questioning. A technical quiz can be easily gamed and is done so regularly. Behavioral, not so much and yet still important.