PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 8th Aug 2017, 19:02
Bob Viking

Received 545 Likes on 147 Posts
t43562.

I believe the real choice is exactly as I said. If you have read the conversation then I'm not sure how you came up with your scenario. As someone else alluded to, a Hunter with modern weapons would be a Typhoon!

BEagle.

I'm not sure why I persist with this conversation. If you haven't got it yet I guess you never will.

My overriding question is that if you are so patently unhappy with the modern RAF why don't you just let it go? I can clearly only speak for the FJ community but from where I'm sat it's not all that bad. A student passing through the modern system (different from what you remember but still very good) has a choice of Typhoon or F35 (or Creamie!). What's not to like?

As for the numbers of Hawks. The RAF needed lots of them when it had more cockpits to fill. We don't need so many any more. I know you think this reinforces your point but just as modern jets beat the 1950s vintage aircraft in terms of capability the same is true of the aircraft they directly replace.

I dearly loved the Jaguar, for instance, but a single role jet with limited loadout does not really have a place in a modern Air Force. I realise I won't be welcomed at jaguar reunions for saying it but it's true.

Anyway I'm sure you'll take issue with what I say again but that's your choice.

BV