PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 21:42
13Beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

Great thread this! Been reading it all and absorbing as much info as I can from it all.

I passed assessment day last Wednesday, and have been recommended for all three (Ugrad Army AeroEng, RAAF Pilot, RAAF ACO).

I must admit though I am somewhat trepidatious about what the ADF may think of my age and my suitability to be a pilot (turning 37 next month).

The ACO who did my interviews seemed to think that as long as I passed all the testing they threw at me, then it wouldn't be an issue. However, if I did get in, I'd be coming out of flight school around 40....surely this would preclude me automatically from some jobs (i.e. fast jets), correct?

Has anybody here had any experience or knowledge of "old" blokes like myself making it through FSP (and then flight school), and if so, where they tended to end up? While I'd love to fly with the RAAF, if its going to be pushing sh*t uphill due to policies frowning upon an older candidate, then I'd be more than happy to fly helos with Navy or Army (if those pathways automatically prove more fortuitous given my age). I'd be thrilled flying in the military period, no matter what airframe it happened to be.

Thanks for any help you guys may have for me.
David