PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much did your PPL cost you?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2017, 23:26
Glasgow_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine in the UK at £120 an hour (that was 13/14 years ago). I'm now in Melbourne and, from what I can see, $330 an hour for a PA-28 seems about the norm. All I'd be careful of is not to get stung too much by time on the ground etc.
What kinda aircraft are you learning in and where are you located?
What I will say is, post licence, here in Aus, I now have access to the most affordable flying I've ever had - less than half what I was paying duel 14 years ago!
It's definitely not mainly about the money though - but of course that comes into it. I don't think it's fair to say if counting pennies, aviation isn't for someone - personally I encourage anyone that dreams of flying to get involved - we have numerous club members that haven't flown themselves in a long time (if ever), but they are an important part of the club and get the opportunity to take to the skies when there are seats going regularly.
It's about getting the most value from your training - not being tied up for half of the lesson paying for time on the ground, not being rushed through briefings, being hands on with the aircraft from day one rather than rocking up and having everything done for you.
People (including me in retrospect!) cannot believe some of the stories from my own time learning to fly and my flight training school. I made the mistake of paying up-front. To be honest, I doubt I'd have changed schools anyway as I didn't really know any different, but some lowlights included:
- a total of only 15 mins ground briefing time for both pre and post flight briefings, and getting to and from and into the aircraft (in other words, the aircraft and instructor had 20 mins between flights to change over, de-brief and brief the next student);
- no time at all to check-out the aircraft on the ground/refuel/check oil etc. This was all done for students;
- if the weather was "at all" flyable, we were going - that meant I spent a very long time repeating lessons and kept my solo time very minimal;
- a total of three full hours (or maybe five, I can't remember) spent on "slow flight" before being circuit training (slow flight = low RPM = higher margin);
- no ability to meet with other students and share experiences (was a school rather than a club);
- high landing fees - in the circuit lessons my landings cost more than the lesson;
- I could go on all day... just don't be that guy (i.e. me!).
I really enjoyed my training despite these things - but could have had much more fun and got more out of it elsewhere!
But, in saying all that, I now live 5 mins from a c150 that costs $104 an hour duel - it all came good!!