PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 4th Aug 2017, 14:43
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeenItAll
Let me add another scenario. If you listen to the ATC tape, I am dumbfounded by the nonchalant transmission from AC saying that they are in the go-around. I am not sure that even then they realized what a f-up had just occurred and how close they were to disaster. At least we have the FDR. They should be able to synchronize it with the ATC tapes to see exactly when the go-around was commenced.
You are approaching what you are convinced is the runway you have been cleared to land on. As you reach short finals you see lights on 'the runway' you tell ATC who tell you there is nothing on the runway you are clear land. But you _still_ see those lights and think I am going around there _is_ something on the runway. Just as you start to go around tower tells you to go around. You say to Tower "In the go around" and you are thinking those guys in the tower screwed up! There _were_ vehicles on the runway! ....

Perhaps the illusion that the taxiway was the runway actually lasted all the way around the circuit after the go around until a straight in approach made them realize that their first approach had been to the taxiway.

Just a thought.