PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two killed on beach when aircraft makes emergency landing.
Old 4th Aug 2017, 01:14
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see how we can make any 'judgement' call yet.

Some observations from the available YouTube videos I've seen:

- In some videos before the Police tapes were up there were still puddles of water between the aircraft and crowd side of the beach. Other video post Police tape show a dusty dry sand. Suggests the tide were on its way out.

- As the aircraft has clear damage from hitting an object it would suggest to me the high probability of the aircraft spinning around on landing. So the way the aircraft is sitting post accident may not indicate flight approach path.

- The sea breeze 'effect' can be quiet strong along a beach at low level. The wind direction and strength barely 500' above the beach could be very different. A pilot having an engine failure a few thousand feet above the built up residential area behind the beach might be suckered into gliding towards the ocean thinking they will make it. As the aircraft looses altitude and the local sea breeze effect comes into play then the aircraft may land short.

To me, waiting for an accident report before judging the pilot seems prudent at this time.