PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HNZ wins SAR in Oz
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 19:39
Hedski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gulliBell
I include the Lloyd/CHC RAAF SAR as an example of a legitimate SAR capability, although not full glass. And we had modern fully automated glass cockpit helicopters at Esso 20 years ago. Pilots who've been flying those types of helicopters for the past 20 years, and there are plenty of them, would be perfectly capable of doing the same in an S92. And I point out, when we first got the full-glass cockpits at Esso, nobody had any experience on glass cockpit helicopters then. We just got in it, got out there, and got the job done, no drama at all. These over-blown experience requirements that Aviation Advisors mysteriously conjur up and cut and paste into contracts are a joke and shouldn't be used as an excuse for an operator to say "we can't find experienced local pilots to do the job". And I also point out, Esso have been flying helicopters in Bass Strait for 50 years without a single accident.
All of my comments are in reference to the SAR S92, which was Canadian registered but is now on a VH- reg. And just getting out there etc. is the exact attitude when it comes to all weather low level ops including night that gets someone killed. Given crew change flights are day only I don't agree with what you're saying.