PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 1st Aug 2017, 18:02
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't believe some of the comments in this thread. if you fly a Spamcan and were taught by a CFI who has also only flown a Spamcan, or if you fly an Airbus, I can see the reason for your lack of knowledge about aerodynamics particularly as it applies to slow flight, stalls and spins but surely the majority must have some idea?

For example, why does a wing drop at the point of stall? That's right; the airplane is yawing. Which means one wing has less lift and will drop. How would you expect to stop this? That's right, stop it from yawing by using the control fitted to most airplanes for this purpose; the rudder.

In many airplanes, even Spamcans (especially if they are misrigged) application of aileron to stop or pick up a dropping wing, unless coordinated rudder is also used, will cause a further wing drop and expose you to an incipient spin, which all modern pilots are taught to fear.

As a flight instructor I fight all the time with pilots who fly with their feet on the floor or consider that those pedals thingies are foot rests. All the way from Cubs to jets.

Just as spinning was banned as too frightening, slow flight has gone the way of the Dodo, and stalls are maneuvers to be feared, soon rudders will become useless appendages. For many, they will not be missed. A pity things have deteriorated to this extent and I fear the standards will continue to drop until we are all replaced by drones. Or has this already happened and I did not notice?