PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Report on fatal Jabiru late go-around.
Old 1st Aug 2017, 00:10
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
I have been half way through such a scenario but am alive to tell the tale. I attempted to land a C172 from an approach about ten knots too fast on my first C172 solo after endorsement.

I had never encountered such bad bouncing behaviour before and it was a surprise to me. I reacted by pushing the wheel forward which was exactly the wrong thing to do. A series of pilot induced bounces followed before I went around, however that was the one thing I had been properly trained for. Power up, expect the pitching moment and push, positive rate of climb, flaps milked up etc. I bent the firewall.

The go around HAS to be taught and practiced perfectly because without that in your armoury, there is not going to be a second chance.

While I cannot remember flying into Yarram, the combination of a strange airstrip, grass surface, perhaps a disconcerting visual perception compared to "big" runways resulting in being too fast and too high at the rapidly approaching threshold, followed by turbulence at the worst moment and the resulting unstable bounce is going to really load the pilot up.

Well anyway it loads me up. My response FWIW, is to tell myself and passenger (if any) that I am probably going around on the first landing attempt and quite often I do.