PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2017, 19:03
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...For every pilot, it should be bread and butter, that stall warning requires relaxing of back pressure, requires forward stick movement, not aft stick movement..."

The first Stall Warn interrupted what was a brisk movement forward of the Stick. According to the graph, the Warning stopped, Bonin continued forward stick movement, and then gently added aft pressure to stick. Don't forget, he may have suspected coffin corner, and was trying to be judicious with Pitch. He also was trying to arrest the descent his ND started, with aft stick.

Pull back, Stall. Push forward, Overspeed.

"...Perhaps you are under they impression that, while having the airplane act as a piano, falling through the air, that the crew was subjected to zero (or perhaps a little) negative g. Not so, it was falling steady state, more or less, and everything inside would be pulled into their seats by gravity with the normal load of approximately 1 g..."

Now you are in Deep Stall. With your experience of Deep Stall, and a two hundred ton aircraft squatting on a cushion of thin air, you say forward stick produces gentle response?

I would say no. A brick, or any portion of it, losing its cushion, will accelerate quickly, and perhaps even start a tumble. If 447, balanced thusly, was stable or thereabouts, do you think pilot would risk stability to gain unwanted airspeed, exacerbating the already novel and robust instability in the Roll?

But this is Deep Stall. I refer to first Stall Warn, as shown in the report.

I have flown this maneuver, albeit in a small plane. Unless rudder and aileron are strictly controlled, the aircraft acts like a man trying to stand on a bowling ball. It leaks to the side, falls forward, or even seems to slip backward. It is exhilarating, and without prior experience, I suggest would be intimidating, to say the least.

Last edited by Concours77; 31st Jul 2017 at 19:17.