PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 swashplate bearing HOT
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 17:36
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
A general but very specific question is asked here, without the appropriate qualifying reference that the OP already has at hand. If you wanted to get a better take on the situation then you might have provided this information from your Flight Manual at the first instance, instead of promoting responses then critiquing them?

I would always recommend that discussing an item is discussed with your maintainer prior to writing it in the book. However, if it is a defect, I know of no Aviation Regulatory system that allows you to NOT record it in the logbook; with the appropriate rectification/action being accomplished and returned to service by an appropriately authorized person prior to any further flight. I do know of companies getting audited and found to have no defect or rectification entries in their logbooks being an immediate red-flag that there is either a secondary recording system or an alternative systemic culture of the internal process of managing the maintenance of the machine and the personel within the organization. If a review of the maintenance logbook reveals parts changes that could only have been detected in flight and no other entries have been made, you need to look very closely at the entire operation, management, processes and policies that exist. Remember, that if you are the Pilot and are not following the regulatory process, you may be left as the one holding the bag!

If you don't have the answer and your maintenance provider doesn't have the answer then you need to escalate the quest for definitive information. In this instance contact the OEM through your local Tech Rep. To ensure you always get a response do it in writing. In this specific maintenance instance, I can assure you that you are playing with fire. I can also assure you that the OEM will have some very specific recommendations for you. I can also eassure you that your Regulatory organization will have some very specific actions to bring you (as well as your employer) back into line.

More simply. Do you want to die? If you're working in an organization that operates in this manner, it can only operate this way with your complicit participation!

In the meantime, read this report and understand WHY this warning is in your AFM. This was a tragic and very avoidable loss.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA

Last edited by Cyclic Hotline; 30th Jul 2017 at 19:25.