PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 06:13
peterc005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by septerra
I've been told via e-mail that RMIT offer part-time option on their aviation course. I'm going to head in to their campus tomorrow, in person, to confirm this wasn't just some auto / proforma reply to every enquiry about options.

There isn't much info on RMIT training on the web, and what little there is, is dated and negative in nature. Any inputs on this?
My son did his training at RMIT and things have worked out well for him.

The training is quite regimented and safety-orientated. RMIT seems to put a big emphasis on check lists, SOPs etc. This is probably a good habit for those headed to the airlines.

He hated most of the training, basically because a lot of the regimentation and control rubbed him the wrong way. However, the standard and professionalism of his flying reflects well on RMIT. He made some good mates at RMIT too.

As a parent, the level of control and direction was reassuring in a potentially dangerous endeavor.

It's a two year course with a massive workload to complete the studies in the time frame. Very steep learning curve if you don't have an aviation background.

My suggestion would be not to under-estimate the steep learning and to do as much preparation as possible before hand. This might include reading the theory books before the course, maybe try to knock off some of the theory exams and to get some flying experience (maybe try something cheaper like gliding).