PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massive hailstorm in Istanbul 27.07.2017
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2017, 11:06
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all ATC controllers have access to a window in the direction of their controlling area, thus may not be able to see.

And that is what can be very disturbing. ATC give vectors towards finals, you have a lot of ground clutter, and trust ATC have your best interests at heart. They do not tell you, and thus you can not know, what they can see, or not. Going into GRO I tried to build a good picture of the weather when at high FL and ask for re-routing accordingly. When <FL200 the Pyrenees masked the true weather.
In todays world of low experienced captains they have been brought up to 'do as you are told' and thus do what ATC tell you without question. I've certainly seen it from F/O's: a nice sunny day, only one large Cu in the sky, a/c skin temp -20c, ATC give vectors directly towards the Cu. No thought as PF selected the HDG. I questioned it, blank expression from PF, and suggested to ATC that either another 20 degrees in the turn or a turn the opposite direction due Wx. No problem, they had a choice and made it. PF still looked blank as if it was a huge surprise we could question ATC.

I'm still curious at what FL and how far from the runway this damage happened. The windscreen of Global looks very challenging. Well done, in the end, guys.