PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockheed Tristar flies yesterday (15 Jul 17) Tucson to Kansas City
Old 21st Jul 2017, 20:23
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
As indicated earleir I loved the tristar /1011 as pax and flew on it many many times.
Much comes back from those years as well as the rock steady approach and also ultra smooth cruise immeasurably better than the T7 which wallows around the sky engines forever hunting up and down to keep the speeds .

Cold winter days at LHR on my way back to Bermuda'sunshine , the 'smoke pouring out from the big (by the standards of the day ) fans

the strange low frequency noise on start up , my then Gf later wife who lived in Cranford and heard but didnt complain about late night or early morning 211 engine runs at the BA base, she called them crying elephants which i thought was quite poetic

And finally the smoothest of smooth long curved approach to a very short final at Bermuda on a Dl 1011 flown by the FO , a grizzled old FO who stood by the exit door while they juggled with the steps in the style of DL in the 80s who I congratulated on such a nice graceful piece of flying. I asked if he was ex Navy which he answered how did I know and I answered him with hand gesture simulating a carrier landing approach which brought a big smile and said how much he loved the 1011 for its handling and places like BDA where a hand flown approach was the norm and he recall his carrier days.

Much as I like the 380, and love the 744 and 757 the Tristar will always be my favourite airliner, it carried me and my family many many thousands of miles on several different airlines and thanks for this thread to remind us they are not quite extinct