PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish crash C150? Circa 1980
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2017, 18:29
Nigel Macknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft you refer to in your finally sorry tale there, the Aerobat, was G-AVTN, if I'm not mistaken. My records show that I flew in that aircraft on 14 May 1972, on my first attempt at air-to-air photography. Edinburgh Flying Club (Ian Cooper) had just acquired a Monsun, if my memory serves, and the idea was that I take photos of it over the Forth Bridges, from the Cessna. Peter Nisbet was flying me. I believe he was an instructor at EFC. And I presume Ian will have been flying the Monsun. I came across the pix I took a few years ago. They are buried somewhere again now. Who knows when they'll next surface from my ten-miles-deep pile of aerospace bits and pieces.

When 'VTN was lost in that mysterious accident, a businessman named Peter Gibbs was flying it. I don't suppose we'll ever know what really happened.

One accident at Turnhouse that really stuck in my mind was the one involving Imperial Tobacco's HS125 - in 1970 or thereabouts. The aircraft crashed within the airport boundary. Ian Cooper told me he'd seen it at first hand from close quarters, as EFC was situated right at the end of the runway.

Ian had some great tales of King Hussain of Jordan when he was flying at Turnhouse back in the day. I understood that he had learned to fly there? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'd gathered.

I've lots of great Turnhouse memories. From air-experience flights in the ATC (Chipmunks - 12AEF) to flying as PAX with the Blue Eagles there when they had the Sioux, to seeing Concorde 002 demonstrating at the air-display, when it was still thought-of as something straight out of a Gerry Anderson movie.