PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2017, 02:02
Tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlockNotAvailable
That makes me happy to hear. Us enroute controllers don't have any influence on delay, but if we can make your life easier when delays get crap, all the better I guess. Although we toe a bit of a fine line with delays, if we get in early before everything else has settled, the chance of it changing is pretty high (especially if they go to LAHSO at short notice ). But everything is pretty sturdy at about 250-200 from ML, so I tend to leave the smaller delays until then. If the delays are 10+, some of us will jump in early to give a time before props level out or to the jets with a "min speed, lower levels available." I've seen plenty of jets with enough time absorb the whole 10+ mins when that's done. It makes everyone life easier I hope.

Is there an amount of delay that you would like to be given the option for lower levels? Delays are pretty crap, not much we can do to change them, but we can at least make it a bit easier for you guys.
The biggest thing for us is time. With enough notice then we can do either lower level (25-30K) slow cruise or at least if holding required we can do it at higher levels to save fuel, the last thing we want is fast cruise to the fsirly fast descent then given holding down low.