PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short Field Landing Airspeed Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2017, 08:12
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure did: power for slope and pitch for speed.
Bloggsie,
Given the rather confused variety of emojis in that post #30, are you suggesting the above is right or wrong??
Please elucidate.

JT,
Having given this some thought, I think a time warp is the problem.

"Back in the day" (before aircraft had an AFM as we know it today, and "handling notes" were rudimentary) a "normal" approach was a glide approach, with "enough" IAS for a short float in the flare before your stalled the aircraft onto the ground.

Indeed, in honour of this "normal" approach, all the RAC/NSW Gipsy Major or Cirrus powered aircraft had the carb.hot air locked on, which did "wonderful" things for performance when you actually needed the power.

A "precautionary approach" as per the syllabus (Pub. 45 and predecessors) was a prelude to an out or forced landing due (usually) weather, and included practicing/demonstrating a low level circuit to determine where you were going to land, followed by a "power on" approach at a somewhat lower IAS than "normal". all aimed at an accurate touchdown at the chosen point.

Seems to me that the present application is to demonstrate an approach at the "right speed" ie; the AFM speed, versus the excessive speed I observe being flown on a "normal" but always now power on, approach.

But, Hey !! Bloggsie, what would I know, compared to Aces of the Bases like your good self, I am happy to admit I am still learning.

Tootle pip!!