PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't believe what I am reading!
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2000, 02:46
Tinstaafl

Unhappy

I think I must beg to differ. If I'm in a light twin ie no performance guarantees on one engine, then I will reduce IAS to Vxse or Vyse. Unless of course OTHER information dictates otherwise eg stall symptoms at faster speeds, obvious degradation of performance (measured in terms of climb ability or handling complications).

After achieving this speed & dealing with the problem to hand and with time to assess current conditions THEN I'll reconsider whether this speed is necessary. But until addtional information is available I'll consider that climb performance is critical and use Vxse or Vyse.

Of course there are always exceptions to any generality eg in level flight above MEA etc in which case it come down to situational awareness about what item is currently the most critical, next most critical etc.

However the original thread specifically referred to an after T/off situation. Once you have achieved Vx, Vy, Vxse or Vyse as appropriate, then any additional speed results in a net LOSS in total energy available to you to use after an engine fails at any given point after take off.