PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 03:33
_Phoenix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not recall discussions about stall warning triggered at 2 h 10 min 51. The first long/consecutive (not sporadic) stall warning. At that point in time, the “situation” was fully recoverable. Why didn’t happened? I think it’s interesting to see why Bonin wasn’t able recognize, or more precisely, he didn’t believed in the stall situation. It was discussed only that he was an Airbus pilot. He was accustomed to sporadic/false stall warnings, kind of immune to that specific sound. Airbus cannot be stalled in normal law, then most of the times the sporadic stall sound was inhibited automatically. No alert, no worries. But he was an experienced glider pilot. For sure he experienced the real stall condition in a glider, maybe only in a glider. The glider behaviour is completely different. You can feel the approaching of stall, clear buffet, no aerodynamic noise and 0 g. Then the nose drops abruptly towards the ground, the speed and aerodynamic noise increase very rapidly and you have to pull the stick sharply before reaching the overspeed threshold. None of these known “stall symptoms” accompanied the stall warning of AF447. No buffet, vertical acceleration ~1g and for subsequent 20 seconds the variometer indicated climb, that’s quite impossible, at least according to aerodynamic stall definition of any manual. Finally after 20 seconds (while thrust was at TOGA) variometer changed sign, it went abruptly into negative accompanied by a huge aerodynamic noise generated by the airflow around the A330 body. “I don’t have control
of the airplane at all” “I have the impression (we have) a crazy speed”
About this aspect, I’m saying that was not detailed before, the stall warning triggered when not suppose to. Also I believe this “false” stall warning is related to the following statement in the report
the threshold of the stall warning varies with the Mach, in such a way that it is triggered - in alternate or direct law – before the appearance of buffet.
About the other swisscheese hole (of the stall warning ceased for speed <60kts) , it was perfectly aligned with the Captain entering the cockpit. Then, the last chance of a fresh acknowledgment of the situation was obliterated.