PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 17th Jul 2017, 20:01
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC 759 was given depart CEDES heading 270, vectors for spacing. After some vectoring with altitude and speed changes, they were given direct TRDOW, cleared for the FMS Bridge Visual Approach Runway 28R.
Obviously some button pushing to re-intercept the approach at TRDOW, some chances to inadvertently delete a constraint or heal a discontinuity in the wrong place. Still, nothing uncommon at a busy international airport even at midnight in my experience.

I understand there are the 'new boys on the block' with their toys, and there are 'the old farts' from the days before toys. People talk about button pushing and FMS guidance and programming for a visual approach where you slide pass the bridge in silent mode and intercept a well lit runway with approach lights & PAPI. It strikes me that all these 'bells & whistles' have made an easy job difficult. A B732 or B727 would have had no problems with this, or properly trained/experienced crews would not have. This may open an old discussion that has been going round in circles for a few years, and I don't want to do that; but, it does seem as if people are trying to blame new technology and operating techniques as being at fault. Perhaps they are correct, and that is where I'm wondering if we have just over complicated things on what should be the most basic of manoeuvres; a visual approach.
I know of one erstwhile operator who has a mandatory VNAV/LNAV FMS WPT programmed visual circuit profile for a basically equipped airfield. It's been there a longtime, and I flew into it with B732. Somehow, 35 years later in a more sophisticated jet, it needs magenta lines, both later & vertical, to fly a visual circuit.
The world has gone mad, and I enjoy my stressless retirement. I got out just in time. Straight jackets & handcuffs are useless in a cockpit, sometimes.