PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Rotorheads, a serious question re drones.
Old 17th Jul 2017, 18:50
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birds versus drones?

Are you seriously trying to compare birds to drones as a justification for their use?

Sorry friend. Birds are a natural and important part of the entire ecosystem on our planet. There are billions of birds. Birds, while sometimes an annoyance to flying are a completely acceptable risk when flying because they are part of the world we live in. If I hit a bird I feel bad for the bird. If I hit a drone...

Here is the statement that many drone operators don't want to accept: Drones are aircraft operating in a system.

When operating within the system they should:
-Have a transponder with a discrete and identifiable squawk. This should include a permanent code that is attached to each drone. Among other things this will place the drones on the TCAS screens of aircraft operating in the area. This should be a requirement regardless of any of the following.
-Operators of drones should be in direct contact with ATC when in controlled airspace that requires other aircraft operators (pilots) to be in contact with ATC. How will this happen? Phone patch, radio, skype?? I have to be in direct and continuous communication with ATC when flying in a multitude of airspace situations and therefore have to have a functioning two way radio. Why does a drone operator need anything less?
-Drone operators who want to fly in controlled airspace should have to receive a clearance from ATC any time they operate in conditions where aircraft operated by pilots require a clearance. This includes any TFR's established for fires etc. In the past few weeks in Arizona, drone operators have caused major shutdowns of firefighting ops because they are intruding into fire TFR's. The only way that their presence in known is because pilots see them.
Instead of fighting against the system, sneaking around the system, drone operators should embrace the system and have the ability to contact controlling agencies. They might even get permission to operate in some controlled areas. That would be good for everyone. What is not good is the feeling that drone operators want to do what they want, when they want and not have to play by the rules. In other words they don't want to pay for the tech that other aircraft have to pay for. Often times we are reading about the drone issue being about aircraft pilots and owners not wanting their aircraft damaged or destroyed. I hope that a drone owner feels exactly the same way about their aircraft. (In our disposable society, a $50 or $100 drone doesn't really mean anything to most folks. Crash it and that's the end of that, or just order another one.)

Drones are here to stay, I get that and accept that fully. Like other tech inventions that come about, the inventions far outrun the rules needed to make them safe. (hoverboards that blow up for example). Now what is needed is some thoughtful catch up on this important safety issue. A lot of good safety has gone into the system we currently have. Drone operators need to get on board.

Ready..Fire..Aim

Cheers