PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2017, 19:04
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger One:

I think you need to go back and carefully review the BEA Final Report:

https://www.bea.aero/docspa/2009/f-c...p090601.en.pdf

There, I believe you will see that the first stall warning occurred almost immediately after the autopilot disconnected, the cause being ice crystals in the pitots and had nothing to do with any PF stick input. The auto thrust went to thrust lock nearly at the same time. While the two pilots were trying to diagnose what was happening a gust caused the aircraft to start to roll, and the PF spent a good deal of attention and time attempting to stop that roll. Then you can read what took place after that.

Keep in mind you are posting on Thread #12. The previous 11 threads are easily accessible and contain a great deal of information and discussion, some coming from experienced A-330 pilots, engineers and fly-by-wire experts in other aircraft. There is also significant discussions and information as to what reliable data and protections were available as the transitions to alternate law and alternate 2 law occurred.

A recent question was if the aircraft was recoverable once it was in the stall. The answer is, nobody really knows for sure as it has never been examined in the way it happened using an A-330 aircraft from that altitude. However, there are two reports of attempted recovery in flight sims that resulted in the idea recovery was possible if the stall was recognized early and the stick was pushed all the way forward and held for a fair period of time. As I recall, the recovery occurred at about 22 to 25K feet and some other caveats were noted to keep from stalling again...