PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 16th Jul 2017, 13:47
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
Airbubba, that particular procedure is with waypoints and is AR. The ac would have had to be GPS to get the AR approval to use the procedure
I hadn't previously heard the term "FMS Approach" but I am familiar with "RNAV Visual Approach," which are issued only to air carriers. Business aviation cannot have access to them, not even the high-end jets.

Technically, these RNAV visual approaches are not "AR' in the sense that RNAV RNP AR or CAT II or III ILS approaches are. Everyone has the charts for those AR approaches, but in the case of RNP AR they won't be in the FMS database unless qualified.

With these RNAV visuals neither the chart nor the database procedure are available publicly. But, nowhere on the chart does it state "authorization required," per se. At least it doesn't on the SFO charts for one major carrier that I have seen.

Interestingly, the "FMS Bridge Visual Rwy 28R" has an IFR missed approach procedure, which is contrary to the usual FAA policy for visual approaches.