PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Rotorheads, a serious question re drones.
Old 15th Jul 2017, 08:12
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vertical Freedom
Hey helimutt....please open Your eyes Mate, Drone near misses are on the rise....BIG TIME. Wont be long before there is a serious collision

just recently in Ozz
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36329029...y-beach/#page1

in response to Your questions:

1. Do you know of anyone who has had a close call with a drone whilst flying a helicopter? Yes; 2 x Rotory Pilots & 2 x Fixed-Wing Pilots.
2. Have you ever had a near miss with a drone? Yes; 1, where I had to take immediate evasive action to avoid a collision.
3. Have you ever collided with a drone? No; not yet thank God.
4. Have you ever seen a drone whilst flying a helicopter Yes; 2.
5. Have you ever had a near miss with a bird? Yes; countless times but what has that got to do with Drones?? Birds naturally are flying creatures that belong in the Sky & understand nothing about Air rules, Safety nor Airmanship. So what is Your point exactly?
6. Have you ever had a bird-strike anywhere on a helicopter, even if just a blade etc? Yes; 4 in 28years thus far, again what is Your point in relation to Drones?

Please explain why are You comparing Drones to Birds???

Absolutely no reason to start getting arsey at all 'mate'. Please show me where i was 'comparing' drones to birds? I wasn't, I was basically trying to find out if the public perception and what I hear as 'rumours' is the same as the reality, when asking the people at the 'coalface' what they're experiencing on a day to day basis. Maybe i'm just lucky. So far i've not even seen a drone when flying a helicopter but once nearly flew into a radio sonde weather balloon that had just been released. I've hit more birds than I can remember but again, maybe i'm just unlucky. Anyway 'mate' I wish you safe flying and hope you hit neither.