PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 14th Jul 2017, 19:27
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aterpster
Do we know whether the NTSB is even looking at this SFO incident?
Yep, they are:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Don't know about the TSB but the NTSB is certainly going to take a look:

@NTSB_Newsroom

NTSB investigating last Friday’s incident involving an Air Canada Airbus A320 at San Francisco Airport.
5:58 AM - 12 Jul 2017
https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/st...21284513959936
Originally Posted by RAT 5
What happens in USA after an incident like this? Is there an immediate debrief of the crew on site by an FAA or airport official? I'm assuming they night-stopped; is that correct?
Some personal speculation on how things may have played out last weekend:

My guess is that after midnight Friday evening you're not going to have a lot of feds in the SFO office even if a report was immediately filed. The tower probably filled out an incident report but it may not have been seen until Monday morning when the media started calling about reports of the incident based on radio transmissions monitored by 'ham radio operators'.

United 1 may have typed up a report on the way to SIN and filed it with the company but I would be surprised if it got much attention outside the airline over the weekend.

The Air Canada 759 pilots may have called ops, grounded themselves, fessed up to a near horrific mishap and waited to be deadheaded back to base on another carrier. Or, they may have filled out a couple of CYA safety reports and operated back to YYZ over the weekend before anyone noticed.

Originally Posted by llondel
I assume the CVR will be the biggest clue here, even if NTSB are the only people to listen to it. That ought to capture the decision-making process in the cockpit, when the crew had the first WTF? moment and when they decided it was going pear-shaped and hit the TOGA button.
The AC crew probably has a policy to pull the Cockpit Voice Recorder circuit breaker and make a logbook entry for maintenance to remove the CVR after a 'reportable' incident. Did they? I wouldn't be surprised if they 'forgot' to do this based on some other incidents of this type.