PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2017, 18:17
Top West 50

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we can all agree from the outset that the primary purpose of our Armed Forces is to fight and win our wars? They are not a vehicle for promoting gender equality or any other minority sexual agenda, whatever the merits of those causes.

In recent publicity announcing that, from September, women would be free to serve in the RAF Regiment, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said “a diverse force is a more operationally effective force.” Coincidentally, in a separate statement, the Chief of the Air Staff eerily concluded that “a diverse force is a more effective force.” Neither of the top men offered any evidence to support their respective conclusions.

As a mere tax payer these days I warmly welcome this improvement in operational effectiveness – more bang for a buck as it were. On the other hand, I am also of a generation that occasionally shows some irritation towards the political correctness agenda. So, in a masterstroke of having cake and eating it, the MOD has gingered up the front line whilst simultaneously advancing the cause of gender equality. Brilliant, but what I find difficult to comprehend is why it has taken our Armed Forces so long to come to this conclusion?