PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vic Govt legislates on landing fees
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2003, 19:19
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sent this a few moments ago. I hope it helps :-)

The Hon. Steve Bracks
Premier of Victoria.

Dear Sir,
I am writing to you this day to indicate my concern over your government's intention of legislating to allow some airport owners to charge for what amounts to the air above their properties. I feel that as a practicing private pilot I am being discriminated against. I feel that if this was to be made law it would vastly increase the costs of training and compliance of my keeping an active licence and of further upgrading that licence in the years to come.

I would understand the reasons for this legislation if indeed monies were actually being spent on maintaining these navigation facilities by the aforementioned airfield owners. To put it simply. How can one charge for the use of a satellite based navigation system when one has absolutely no control what so ever in its maintenance and availability nor accuracy of the said system? In fact were it possible for said owner to be able to "flick a switch!" and deny access to this system then I would be more respectful of your legislation.

I feel that no consultation has been entered with any of the other stakeholders, therefore making this legislation biased in favour of the aerodrome owners. This is very unfair.

If your government was intending to assume responsibility for the maintenance and commission of the airways navigation system from The Commonwealth and was then entering into an agreement with the affected aerodrome owners then I would also understand your position. Simply put the aerodrome owners do not "own" the air navigation system. In the not too distant future when technology is available to augment the accuracy of the GPS (Wide Area Augmentation System) there will be no need for ground based navigation facilities. When that day passes a navigation/landing/approach charge will really be "Charging for the smell of my good broth"

Yours Faithfully

Mr Mark Jones
5 Retreat CCt
Beaconsfield Victoria
[email protected]

Occupation- Tip truck Driver ( In case you think I am some silvertail with more money than sense ;-) )