PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short Field Landing Airspeed Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2017, 10:46
Lead Balloon

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
I see it now. On the subject of short field landings, who'd be silly enough to draw on the knowledge and data derived from the people who land very fast jets very accurately on very short ships?
One important fact to be appreciated is that the airplane ... stalls at the same angle of attack regardless of weight, dynamic pressure, bank angle, etc. Of course, the stall speed of the aircraft will be affected by weight, bank angle, and other factors since the product of dynamic pressure, wing area, and lift coefficient must produce the desired lift. ...
That's why stall warning devices usually sense angle of attack or pressure distribution, not airspeed.

And oddly enough, the definitions of Vs and Vso in the fairly vanilla POH I have in front of me for a fairly vanilla aircraft do not say the speed below which the aircraft stops flying.

Good luck staring at the ASI and using power to manage airspeed to nail that perfect short field landing!

PS: I have been lucky enough to spend some time with an instructor like this one (whom I quoting from the backcountrypilot.org website):
I would suggest that if you want to get comfortable with short strip flying it is good to get comfortable at going slow. I am our company's instructor, and in the first flight with every new company pilot I cover the airspeed indicator, load the plane to gross (about 1100 lbs) and we spend a half hour flying with the stall horn on, clean and dirty, 30 degree banked turns clean and dirty and a descending dirty turns to left and right.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 12th Jul 2017 at 11:24.