PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane rating FAA/EASA
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 12:52
cptcollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seaplane rating FAA/EASA

Hi all,

I have an EASA ATPL and attached to it is my SEP (land) rating. I also have an FAA licence that 'Piggy Backs' off my EASA licence. Downroute I decided to do some seaplane flying in the USA. Question is, can I do the SEP (sea) skills test in the USA and then convert it to my EASA license or am I better off doing some training on the cheap and then shooting off to Scotland and doing a skills test there with an EASA approved body instead? Can you even add ratings to an FAA license that piggy backs off of another license?

Second question is about logging seaplane time. EASA states that land and sea class ratings are completely independent, visa vie, one must complete 12hrs in the last 12 months of both land AND sea to stay current even if the type is the same, let's say a C172. How do I differentiate between a C172 with floats and one without? Do you just stick seaplane hours into the 'Other flying' column? I understand that some electronic logbooks have a special box to tick for such an event but I'm old school.

Blue skies

~ S