PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:37
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rail link and community benefits

Guys and gals.. no offense but Your lucky to have such possibilities coming . If I may give you an example of what we have close to me .

I don't understand why so many people are so highly irate about the project that can do nothing but to benefit not just the airport.
But also the wider community Regeneration .

Out here In the Far West, Ireland, Ireland West Knock Airport which is , Ireland's 4th largest carrying well over 700.000 pax last year very impressive for an Airport in connaught and considering it's humble beginnings.
For starters it didn't even have planning approval but a little over a few years later saw runway terminal and apron improvements .
Plus it does get a lot of inward tourist flights - flocking to Knock Shrine.

It is located right next to N17 which is still classed as WS2 ( wide S2 Road) and as with many Irish N roads it has shoulders too, most folk here have an unwritten code - pulling into the shoulder to let you pass.

But there's no Airport Rail station. The nearest is Athenry but if you want Dublin or Westport you have to travel up the N17 to Sligo.
The M17 From Limerick passes Galway and will terminate a few KM South at Tuam but eventually will put the airport right against the motorway and they are not busy as yours are. But for us that could be years away.

The Catchment is limited but spread over a wide area .

It may soon see a rail route come close as ' The Great Western Rail Corridor' phase 2 and 3 may come close to the Airport - however it has a great Bus service via Bus Eireann, which links to several major towns.
These buses are fast and comfortable with stunning scenery to boot.

The point is that to look at your arguments against a rail connection , PAX Growth For Knock , last year was over 700,000 which is impressive considering how sparsely populated the area is but is listed as the 4th busiest in Ireland.

But without a doubt the Argument for a station close by would serve not just the airport but the wider community as well just as your project will yours .

But also we have the M17 project which starts way down at Limerick ( not far from Kerry Airport, which is close to great Rail Road amd Bus links ), and is being extended to Tuam.
With an Aim to link beyond Sligo to the A4 on the UK side
That road will hopefully dualled again improving the links to County Fermanagh and eventually the Duall riad and motorway to Belfast.

Such a project can but only help Bringing more pax and freight closer than ever.

The point of this post is we are late in developing all these infrastructure projects , you guys are lucky to have ... e.g. Motorways and a high speed line. ( Your East coast mainline ) a short bus ride away.
So why not support this project?
It seems that attitudes are a lot to do with how these projects are perceived.

I've read about the dismal figures and stories about your DTV airport and seen the Figures for HUY who's services seem to Echo the former.
It seems to me your DSA is doing just fine.
As I said in previous posts to answer a post where the guy wanted to sit in ever present gridlock on the M62/M60, again I'd ask why .
If you live within 20 mins if your airport and you want to Fly to AMS or. DUB for example why go through the stress of a 3 hour crawl to MAN?.
And the poster who spoke of train timings no offense but that was almost a mocking post as as yet nobody has seen plans for the line let alone the train times.
Anyone with common sense will recognise train timings will be adjusted according to the needs of the PAX and community.