PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 09:35
Flightmech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
A/C diverting. Pax being hugely inconvenienced. Airline incurs a not inconsiderable cost. Surely this event highlights it was not an insignificant moment.

The radio reported that LGW closed the runway, (I assume airspace) for 9mins on 2 occasions. Would this really require diversions? Just how much fuel did those guys have? Surely enough to hold for a couple of circles?
I wonder what the real effort was in finding the laser culprits. Will the effort into finding these drone infringers be any greater? Where to start? Surely this will increase the call to have some registration & ID on the units. If you can 'find my phone' via GPS or whatever system it uses, then surely a drone can carry a phone sized battery/transmitter to enable it to be tracked and identified when necessary? I can not see a technological problem. It depends if there will be legislation to do so. It might even be the interest of the owner if they lose sight of it and it crashes or drifts off on the wind.
The NAP-LGW Easy flight diverted to STN squawking 7700 after a short hold over the south coast. Maybe due to fuel state?