PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in India
Thread: Flying in India
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 06:01
rubikscube1348

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scalci
Hi Everyone

I searched the forum, but dont find a lot of info.

1. What is the general feeling about flying in India?
2. How is the living conditions?
3. General view of India?
4. Typical weather?
Thx in advance.

Scalci
I am an OCI holder in India with an FAA CPL. Trying to get a DGCA CPL. I'll be honest with you. It takes time to get something done in India. There is a lot of bureaucracy involved, so be aware of the time.

1) If you are pursuing flight training, I wouldn't suggest India because there are very few flight schools which can get you done in under a year. Your best bet is to head to a commonwealth country like Canada or New Zealand. Now I say commonwealth because the conversion becomes much much easier. You don't have to give an RT exam anymore. Florida is also a good place but then they don't have an RT license, so you'll have to get that either in india or elsewhere which is a pain.
If you are interested in flying, check out Indigo's or Jet's Cadet programme. They'll get you a job quick.

Now if you already hold a license and have hours, then you should remember that there will be a lot of paperwork to be done before you can get your license verified and processed. The DGCA takes their sweet time. So be vary of that.

2) If you live in a metropolitan city, you'll be fine. It'll take time to get adjusted to the traffic and the surroundings but once you do that, the place is liveable.
3) India is currently booming with aviation. Last I heard there are almost 1000 aircrafts on order by all the airlines. It will take up to 10 years to receive them but nonetheless it is booming. So there are very favourable conditions for employment. But I hope they upgrade their infrastructure because of the increase in traffic.
4) Weather is fine. Rain showers during the summer and winter gets cold but not too chilly.

I am not sure if you are asking this because you want to switch bases to India or you are looking for flight training options here.
But if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.