PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow stock is not doing too well either
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 02:12
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, Dear.

Chris, for someone with such a high opinion of himself and who owns so many books your reading comprehension doesn't appear to be too hot. Might want to bone up before you take (or retake, as the case may be) the SAT.

Reading your thread about electric cars (while no doubt fascinating, erudite, and full of pithy bon mots) would perhaps not bring as much comfort to people who are in financial distress due to the industry's economic downturn as you might imagine. But I'll suggest to Elon Musk and those good people in Munich who are reportedly working on electric cars that they move your thread right up on their reading list.

Many of us have seen previous industry downturns and have foreseen the possibility of changes in fossil fuel usage and have planned accordingly. Most international offshore helicopter pilots I know (and I daresay I know a thousand or so more than you do having been one myself) have hedged their bets over the years with other businesses, investments, savings, education & training, financial planning and the like. You might be surprised what you can learn over 1000 cups of coffee in global pilot lounges and the odd pint here and there given time.

Some haven't hedged their bets, but you don't know who those might be and you probably shouldn't presume that you do. At least not until you've held down a job, paid for your own training out of your own earnings or paid for the roof over your head. You lack perspective, experience, and humility. Start with the third of those and you might eventually gain the other two. Fail to embrace that third one and you won't even find the path to get you the other two. Right now I can assure you that you're started down the wrong road.

I was flying one of the aircraft you have posted on your FB page as a cover photo more than a decade before you were born. The very airframe is in my logbook, one of the 5 that I have filled. At that stage of my life I was far more educated, experienced and skilled than you are by about an order of magnitude and I haven't stopped becoming even more so. But even at that I knew and know enough to be aware that there was and is a great deal I do not yet know. I would not have presumed to tell professionals in an industry where I had not so much as a day of real experience how they ought to think. You have no such filter. Better get one.

Most pilots who have survived (both literally and figuratively) for years in helicopters are keenly aware of what they do not know and seek out those who know what they do not. That's why helicopter pilots tend to get along with one another. Almost all of us on this page know one another either from first-hand experience or by reputation via close personal friends and colleagues. That network is incredibly strong and largely self-policing and those of us who are part of it do not take it lightly nor for granted. You forget that at your peril.