PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 21:33
GliFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is happening is that some cadets are joining civilian gliding clubs close to where they live.
At my club we have 5 young members who are each in one of two local squadrons.
Of these five, two are already solo and one has already transitioned to our SZD-51-1 Junior and is well on his way to Bronze. He is 16 years old. Four of the five are from the local school with which we have a scholarship programme for 6 students per annum, so they get to solo free of charge.
It has been suggested that I visit one of the squadrons to talk about civilian gliding and explain to the cadets and their parents what it would cost to go that route.
If parents are responsible for getting the cadets to and from VGS Centres, it might be cheaper for them to pay the local civvie club membership and launch costs. Many clubs run assisted schemes for young pilots.
It is all very sad that it should come to this after the fantastic history of Air Cadet Gliding. Many of my fellow older club-members and I are former Air Cadet Instructors mainly 616 Henlow). Our own gliding was with the Air Cadets so we have a strong bond with the current cadets who come to us.