PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 point turn in a 757
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2017, 12:40
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
... Perhaps we should be discussing why it was ever contemplated in the first case when there was a perfectly simpler & safer solution: use the turning circle.
Me thinks, case of tunnel-vision, getting there(=on the exit)-itis, a state of mind set, well before touchdown, on performing a carrier-style landing...
Impossible to measure, especially with the rather wide angle of view of the approach, but with reference to a 3° approach I very well know, I would be inclined to qualify this as a rather shallowish approach path, followed by a nice touchdown just in front of the aiming point, lots of perfectly normal (but probably sportive) braking and reversing, however finishing the last meters of the 900-ish meter ground roll with some kicking the brakes, making the tires smoke-puff more than needed and keeping the reversers on till the last meter (they are still closing whilst 45° in the left turn), with still ample, albeit rather boring, 600m of concrete ahead (and 600m back)...

I feel rather sorry for this guy/girl, one second less float before touchdown would have made their day; on the other hand maybe it's a lesson learned now, and once speed is under control, future roll-outs will hopefully be handled more docile when applicable. And let's hope their CP hasn't heard of Utube yet...
Regrettably as it may be, one has to keep in mind that many airports nowadays are red-carpets, full of paparazzi lenses, ready to capture and show the world every fart escaping your control...

Last edited by DIBO; 29th Jun 2017 at 17:18. Reason: Typos