PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Claim Tax for HTD Mileage
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2017, 22:51
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JagMate
I know this has been raised as a topic before, but I can't find the definitive answer. As a higher rate tax payer, can I claim back the difference between the HTD milieage rate and the 'official' gov rate for tax purposes? I clock up a 220m round trip each weekend to reside in the mess mid-week and I have been on a standard posting (it came with a posting notice for 3 years but I've served less than 2 years before being moved on) Thanks in advance to my tax savvy ppruners.
You can claim the difference for duty journeys on your tax return on your tax return. However, if you are talking about making a claim relating to HTD/GYH (in your case I suspect GYH if you're living in) then you can only claim if your posting notice says the tour is 2 years or less in duration. This all relates to what HMRC call temporary workplaces (I forget the exact term), but it only applies if the intent is that you will serve at a new location for less than 2 years. If your posting notice says 3 years but you only do 2 then you luck out on the basis of intent to be based there permanently - over 2 years in tax terms,

I've made a claim myself before and last year surprised myself getting a few thousand back over the course of 2x 2 year tours, so it os possible. But this time I'm in the same boat of a 3 year posting notice so won't be able to claim. The joys of NEM and greater stability posting you away from home for longer and no ability to claim! But when you can, don't be tempted to use claims firms that advertise in the Service press but charge 30%. Anyone on here has the intelligence to do it themselves and save a packet. Just make sure you have all the data to hand, you are accurate and honest in your claim and know what bit of the tax rules you are basing your claim on which is easily found by looking up temporary workplace rules.

Ps none of this constitutes advice, just a read out of what I did and what I looked up when I had the same question and my opinion. As ever, seek qualified advice in case things have changed etc etc etc