PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Skydivers Feared Dead In Light Plane Crash Caboolture
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 08:52
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The classification of parachute ops has been a recurring theme in ATSB reports for over a decade.
Yes, an interesting statement in the report:

CASA has treated the airlift component of skydiving as a private operation because CASA considers that the payment made by the parachutists is for the descent from the aircraft, not flight in the aircraft

I wonder how you would go arguing that payment is for the holiday, not the flight to the holiday location?

One thing did catch my attention:

Transfer marks from the propeller blade pitch change linkages on the propeller hub internal components indicated that the propeller blades were in fine pitch on contact with terrain. Fine pitch is the normal propeller blade position for take-off and low-speed flight.

Do they mean the propeller was on the fine pitch stops? I would have thought that at flying speed & full power, the propeller would be off the stops and in the governing range. If it's on the stops, it suggests the engine wasn't (or was barely) producing enough power to reach the selected RPM.