PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA in Australia - Is it over?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2017, 10:32
mikewil

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kranz
should I just pay for the privilege and get MECIR off the bat, or should I attempt to build experience in single VFR and hope for employer assistance along the way? Any advice appreciated.
It is highly unlikely any employer will contribute to your MECIR, you will need to shell out for it yourself at one point or another.

So, which way to go? I'd be happy with either path if it means I'm flying one way or the other but it does concern me that it appears to be very difficult to go from CPL through to MECIR + 1000hrs command along the GA route in order to secure a job in RPT.
The GA route won't guarantee you a position in RPT, even when you have accrued the required experience you will still be faced with the psychometric tests that are used to cut down the numbers of cadet applicants.

You need to decide whether you would like to be a slave to the airline that offers you a cadetship, or be living on tins of baked beans while working as a casual in GA and trying to scrounge for flying hours during the off peak seasons (depending on where you are working). For the sake of job security, I'd take a cadetship any day over GA. But it is all about what kind of an experience you want in your journey. Just don't expect that 5,000 hours in GA will count for anything, because a twit who happens to be good at recognizing shapes and patterns will jump in front of you with 200 hours.