PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA in Australia - Is it over?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2017, 01:43
bushpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAA might have taken the place of some flying schools and perhaps aero clubs but many places embrace both. Probably not a bad idea. Learning on something small and 'floaty' and perhaps a taildragger as well is better for learning basic skills. Learning cross country without a GPS and lots of drift at a slow speed can be fun as well. I think the two (GA schools and RAA) can go hand in hand quite comfortably.
It is more the step up from there that has me thinking that GA charter from VFR single up through IFR multi seems to be a thing of the past and more's the pity.
Doublemamba I think a big part of the problem is there are just less jobs so employers are more picky maybe. Although I have encountered similar problems to you in the past. 'What do you want to work here for with the hours and types you have behind you' ..sort of thing. Well in my case I have been in the industry but out of actually flying for a few years and actually enjoyed GA and remote area flying and would not be looking to use it as a stepping stone to a 'burner'. If you already have relevant experience it should be an advantage not a disadvantage as well.
One aspect of GA charter dying out has to be the much higher cost of running even a small operation now with the much higher charges and cost of compliance with what are times regulation for the sake of regulating. Also less direct charges coming via the maintenance organisations being increasingly regulated as well. And on top of that, the rural and other communities not being as 'vibrant' economically as governments would have us believe.
The point about many things being able to be done online is a good one but is only a small part of the picture.
Anyway, me dribbling on here probably won't solve anything but it is interesting to see that other opinions are close to my own.