PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2017, 10:48
Chugalug2

Received 219 Likes on 68 Posts
Danny and aa62, if they stuck to their charter and broadcast a neutral non partisan editorial content then I would have been prepared to put this down to a one off by their local studios. They don't of course, and I for one would gladly see the BBC "privatised" and made to make its own way unaided by a mandatory tax on TV receiving devices on threat of criminal prosecution (and I have at last started enjoying a free dib, so no personal advantage here).

Oh, and add Channel Four to that list (also kept afloat with Licence Payers money!).

Sgt pilots were still around in my training days, Danny, though a fast disappearing breed. One of my own instructors was a Master Pilot, probably the best rank to attain in those days. As he explained to me (as an effective AC2) "When you finish your day job as a Commissioned Officer you will then start your other job (O i/c bog rolls, OO, SDO, etc). I'll be going back to the Mess now for a well deserved beer or two".

Despite this rather demoralising revelation of the real world of the RAF for an innocent young man, I must acknowledge he was right in that as he was in everything else. A good man that man!