PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2017, 11:17
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
My views on this matter are probably well known but I will repeat them for what they are worth.

First to lay one misapprehension to rest - Bomber Command were not "uniquely" denied a campaign medal, as I have often seen asserted. No formation in any of the three services (or the Merchant Navy) received a campaign medal specific to that formation - all were theatre awards. There were of course clasps on the various stars (eg "Battle of Britain" on the 1939-45 Star, and "1st Army" and "8th Army" on the Africa Star), but no separate medals as such. In recent years, of course, the "Bomber Command" clasp has been introduced for wear on the 1939-45 Star, and perhaps that decision should have been made immediately post war rather than in 2012. Incidentally that clasp is only awarded to former aircrew.

The trouble is, if you make a decision, even at this very late date, to award a Bomber Command Medal or Star, where do you stop? Won't Fighter Command chaps have a case to make as well? What about the submarine service? What about about the Merchant Navy who did in fact have their own medal in WW1? They had horrendous losses and even suffered the indignity of having their pay stopped from the moment their ship was sunk - they have a case if anyone has!

Let it lie, I say,