PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2003, 20:36
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel To all Dick dislikers...

It seems that there are a lot of blokes who subscribe to pprune who aren't fans of Dick Smith. Now I must admit that I'm not exactly an adoring fan myself, however, I can't accept that he is acting out of unashamed self-interest.

Most of his detractors seem to be willing to accept that his intentions are less than honourable while their own intentions seem to be more focussed on the perpetuation of a status quo that they believe benefits them, (or their passengers), to the exclusion of other airspace users. This sounds, feels, and tastes like elitism to me.

Gentlemen, before you assault me verbally for my opinion, I would remind you that it is not a case of us or them. There is no rational reason why VFR and IFR RPT can't live in harmony. In fact, I would go so far as to say that any measure designed to inhibit another's pursuit of happiness, (safety and efficiency), is actually contrary to the realisation of the goal. It's not a battle where only one can win.

I like quotes that offer profound observations about life. Here's one from the preface of "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
"No-one may build his happiness on another's pain"

Some may consider that Dick's pursuit of happiness, or safety and efficiency, will be built on their pain. And, I must admit that it will, at least if you accept that it is painful for some to accept change that permits others relief from pain (happiness). Of course, this pain will only last as long as the "victim" wishes to hold onto the hurt, and I reckon that once they get used to it, the NAS and other reforms might actually become grudgingly accepted. With a lot of moaning of course. Can't let them think that we're having too much fun can we?

It should also be accepted that a little sacrifice is good for the soul. Of course I don't mean sacrificing your precious cargo. Dick's reforms, including the NAS can not have that effect, except in your mind. May I humbly suggest that a little self-sacrifice in the manner being postulated in the NAS will not only benefit VFR, but also IFR RPT immeasurably. LIVE, yes, but also LET LIVE!

Another quote from some bloke I know reasonably well,
"You can't elevate yourself by putting another down". Elevate yourselves by all means gentlemen.

Believe it or not, Dick, and Mike for that matter, (wonder if they're related?)seem to have a vision of a better world. They can see how good it could be for aviation in Australia, and are willing to accept the barbs and criticisms of the community to achieve it. Unless you have the courage of your convictions to stand up against the majority to explain how we can do it better, you will not be able to understand them. All leaders have learnt to deal with their detractors, good thing we don't live in pre-, or even post- war Iraq, eh?

Regardless of this, search for the faults in their argument. Make sure that you validify the facts clearly, unemotionally, forgetting all that you think you know. If you cannot put aside all that you think you know you cannot discover anything new.

I'm no genius, but if the Americans can manage with this system in a country with far more aircraft in the same airspace then why can't we?. Yes, they have more radar, but even they don't have radar where it isn't warranted.

And finally, check out BIK_116.8's post on the end of page 2.
The topic is "Reports of excessive and unreasonable CASA actions" on the D&G GA forum.
Anyone who has the guts to personally admit wrong on behalf of a government bureaucracy over which they have personally little control is deserving of more respect than he is getting here.

Another good quote comes to mind. A young student after being admonished for failing to respect his flying instructors. "I used to respect them but they didn't respect us back." Respect is a two way street. Probably not relevant, but I did tell you that I like quotes.

Also, before any replies. My rules of engagement.

Reasoned rational argument only. Robust, yes, but lets keep it clean.

There are plenty of other posts where you can vent your spleen, but here I request that you mind your manners.

Some younger ppruners may be actually viewing your posts in order to understand the issue. Make your post something of which you would be proud for your son to read. Make that your mum if you're unmarried. You get the idea?

Of course, you're a pilot! Quick neural synapses and reflexes and all that. You'll understand my meaning,........ won't you?