PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded due to historical issue, case taking months at CAA
Old 17th Jun 2017, 17:19
CrazyScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounded due to historical issue, case taking months at CAA

Hello

I am currently working towards my CPL/IR, and have completed my ATPL examinations and about half of my hour building.

Unfortunately, when I came to do the Class 1 medical in March of this year, I was grounded.

Two to three years ago (while in possession of a class 2 certificate and a PPL, but not actively flying) I went through a bit of a rough patch due to various personal difficulties and underwent a course of cognitive behavioural therapy. As there was no actual specific diagnosis (the therapy was aimed more at addressing some unhelpful OCD - oriented symptoms that didn't actually indicate a full blown clinical diagnosis) and I was at no point medicated I didn't report anything to my AME or the CAA. Flying was also the last thing on my mind at the time, and I didn't resume flying until late last year in fact.

It wasn't until I was filling out the pre-assessment form for the Class 1 (MED 160 I think?) and it asked for very specific details on anything on my medical history (including psychological background) that I started to think that not notifying the CAA of my previous therapy at the time may have been incorrect. I contacted the AME that issued my Class 2 and he confirmed this, so I disclosed full details on the form and submitted the reports when I went to the AeMC the next day for my Class 1.

Although the AME who examined me stated there would be no change in my certification (although my Class 1 application was deferred to the CAA), a week after the appointment I got an email stating my Class 2 had been suspended too (effectively grounding me). A letter from the CAA shortly after confirmed this, and asking me for my written comments on a possible non-declaration issue and for my complete medical records.

I complied with this, writing a grovelling letter of apology/explanation and submitting my complete medical records at the beginning of April. I've been waiting since, and unfortunately progress has been painfully slow. I've attempted to contact my (Class 1) AME on several occasions but cannot get through as the admin staff insist that until there is a final decision at the CAA they cannot provide me with any further information.

I've pestered the CAA multiple times a week by phone since then and it seems my case is progressing, but extremely slowly. My records weren't reviewed by the consultant psychiatrist until about a week ago for example. There seems to be a lot of back and forth while memos are sent between staff members and typed up and sent back to be signed off etc. I appreciate the CAA aeromedical department have to work a large caseload with what they have (no different to licensing...), but this has completely scuppered my flight training plans and if it continues much longer could completely derail my commercial career due to training deadlines and commitments elsewhere.

Do I have any grounds here for a complaint? I appreciate that at the end of the day I wouldn't be in this mess if I had declared my medical history when I was supposed to, but it was a genuine mistake. I have been grounded for over 3 months now and the case has been with the CAA for as long as that.

I have asked that a priority be that my Class 2 is reinstated while I wait for my Class 1 application to be considered separately if it means I can get back to my hour building and starting my IR (which doesn't require a Class 1) more quickly, but I am not sure it will make any difference.

Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks