PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2017, 19:41
Danny42C

Geri,

Found it ! (a minor miracle) Your chap Southwood knows his stuff ! From the earliest days, a full power run-up on the ground needed an erk or two grimly hanging on over the tail, as well as full back stick, to hold your kangaroo down.

One well known WAAF did not hear (or did not heed) the call to dismount: the pilot took off from where he was, got airborne, looked in the mirror - and got the shock of his life ! He got it down with both unharmed. ("trims a bit tail-heavy today, rigger ?")

The lady died only a year or so ago: it was in here. She had a tale to tell her grandchildren !

Heads-up ! (only 4 yrs late !) Came across a BBC2 programme (Which I don't ever remember seeing before) by Griff Rhys Jones: "Burma, My Father, and The Forgotten Army", available on iPlayer and (maybe) on YouTube overseas. A very fair summary of "my" war. Well worth a tune-in, IMHO.

If you do see it, do not mind the odd pics of Us helmets supposed to be our troops. The Jap twins shown (brief glance) are "Bettys", I reckon. A thing the size of a Wellington, it was used as the Naval torpedo bomber which sank the P.O.W. and the Repulse off Malaya.

Danny (what did that little devil you write about do next ?)