PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get with the 21st Century CASA
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2017, 01:23
GolfGolfCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyrie in support of your argument, the GFA Instructors Bulletin 1/2014 says:
"Some years ago the GFA stopped collecting member hours and flight numbers at membership renewal time. The rationale for such was that most members did not record the information and therefore it proved to be of little value collating same. This was somewhat unfortunate, as member flight time, and in particular flying activity, can provide a useful insight into currency and proficiency aspects of occurrences. It is also useful for demonstrating the intensity of gliding operations when dealing with the Regulator or other interested parties." and further proposed that:
"It is against this background that I would like to again collect hours and flight data, but I am also looking for 100% compliance. The only way I can see this happening is to ask all CFIs to collate the information. "

The next instructors bulletin contained the following:
"In the previous bulletin I canvassed the idea of CFIs collating member flight information at a particular date each year. I subsequently received correspondence from several CFIs opposed to this on the basis of increasing their workload. Interestingly, one of these CFIs subsequently informed me that he had a change of position, and recognised that the only way to achieve accuracy and compliance was via the CFI network. Anyway, I have decided not to pursue this further at this time and will look at other ways in which this information could be obtained."
The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that the statistics supplied to BITRE by GFA are at best fictional and at worst potentially fraudulent.

Last edited by GolfGolfCharlie; 13th Jun 2017 at 01:24. Reason: extraneous characters